Container units form the most integral part of the entire shipping industry, trade, and transport. These shipping containers are the structures that store various kinds of products that need to be shipped from one part of the world to another.
As such, depending on the type of products to be shipped or the special services needed from them, container units may vary in dimension, structure, materials, construction etc. various types of shipping containers are being used today to meet requirements of all kinds of cargo shipping. Some of the most common types of shipping containers in use today are mentioned below.
- Dry Van: or standard. Sealed, unventilated
- Reefer: have a system for keeping hot or cold
- Open Top: open at the top
- Flat Rack: lack of sidewalls and occasionally front and rear
- Open side: open on one side
- Tank: or cistern. For bulk liquid transport
- Flexi-Tank: Also for transporting bulk liquid, but is a Dry Van container inside which a flexible reservoir is secured a flexible disposable bag named
Regarding measures can be distinguished mainly:
- 20 feet: 20 ‘x 8′ x 8.6”: 1 TEU
- 40 feet: 40 ‘x 8′ x 8.6”: 2 TEUs